Saturday, June 27, 2015

Currently Reading: Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare

Set in Victorian London, 1878, Clockwork angel is the first in The Infernal Devices trilogy by Cassandra Clare. The trilogy is a companion series to her other series, The Mortal Instruments. The way I read Clare's books is by publication date. So, as of now, I have read the first three books of The Mortal Instruments and just started The Infernal Devices.

The plot is intricate to say the least. Set in a world that is intertwined with our own, we follow our protagonist, Tessa Gray. A seemingly normal girl, we realize that there is much more underneath the surface when she is held hostage by the Dark Sisters, Mrs. Dark and Mrs. Grey. If you have read a Mortal Instruments book before, you'll be able to see who these Dark Sisters really are: Downworlders. Tessa and the reader are then thrown into the fantastical world that Clare has conceived.

So far, I am happy with my decision to read by publication because if not, I would have been completely lost and confused right now. Be wary reading this book; it does have a slow start but picks up about a quarter through. I am very much enjoying the story so far and I'm just about 60% done. I imagine I'll finish the book this weekend. As of comparing Clockwork Angel to the first three Mortal Instrument books, I like it better than City of Bones, but not as much as City of Glass. I would have to say that I currently like it about the same as City of Ashes. After this book, I'll be continuing with both series and I'm excited to see how the world builds with the next books.

On the top left is the original cover, which I am reading from as a hardback, and the bottom right shows the newly released cover. Which one do you like better? Personally, I like the originals better for both Clockwork Angel and Clockwork Princess, but I really like Clockwork Prince's new cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment