Sunday, August 30, 2015

Top YA Paranormal Books I've Read So Far This Year!

As a predominately young adult fiction reader for three years now, you see trends in certain genres that seem to repeat. To say that there are a lot of paranormal young adult novels out there that seem redudant is true. The books down below are the ones that truly stood out to me this year. Though I have been disappointed by some, there were several that truly stood out this year.


1.) The Taking by Kimberly Derting

The Taking was the first book I read this year. I remember really liking this just because I could understand Kyra and her frustrations. Kyra wakes up and realizes that five years have passed, but she hasn't aged. The plot was really interesting to me and a lot was revealed throughout the novel. Though I really loved the book when I read it, the more I think about it the more my opinions are lessened. I will probably read the next book this year, but I am really hesitant about it.

2.) Unearthly Trilogy by Cynthia Hand

When I found out Cynthia Hand was coming to a bookstore near me to promote The Last Time we Say Goodbye, I decided to marathon her Unearthly Trilogy. I didn't have any high expectations, but I was blown away by this trilogy! Not only was the story captivating, I loved all the characters. There is even a love triangle *gasp!* but it was really well done. If you're hesitant to pick up the Unearthly Trilogy because it has angels in it, please don't. All three novels are so much deeper than just the mythology, and they truly touched me.

3.) The Queen of Zombie Hearts by Gena Showalter

Gena Showalter's White Rabbit Chronicles is nothing but fun! When I read the first book, Alice in Zombieland, I was blown away! I stayed up so late reading the first book and I had the same experience with the second novel and this one. Since this novel was supposed to be the conclusion, The Queen of Zombie Hearts tied up all loose ends. When I found out there is a fourth and final novel to the series, I was so happy! From what I know, it's going to follow a character who had a not so happy ending, and I couldn't be more excited. This series is fun, fast paced, and sexy. The characters are amazingly written, and I have major squad envy from them. If you're looking for a series that's wrapping up later this year (September 29!) that will keep you on your toes and has zombies in it, this is the one for you!

4.) Alienated and Invaded by Melissa Landers


Alienated and Invaded is such a fun series. The first novel, Alienated, focuses on a student exchange program between Earth and a new planet. When Cara is chosen, she's looking forward to the opportunities she'll receive; she has practically a free pass to any college she chooses, and her blog is about to skyrocket. What she doesn't expect is that Aelyx, the alien that is going to be living with her, is more that what meets the eye. The plot unfolds from there and it truly becomes a great story that I couldn't put down. Though I didn't love these two books, I really enjoyed them and would give them a 4.25 star rating. There was some controversy over whether or not there would be a third book, and info was just released about how there actually is going to be a third book and I cannot wait!

5.) Hover by Melissa West

Hover by Melissa West is the second installment in Melissa West's series. I have the third and final book waiting patiently on my Nook, and I can't wait for the chance to read it. The first novel, Gravity, follows our main protagonist, Ari, when she makes the one mistake no one should: she opens her eyes and finds out the identity of an alien. Needless to say, she's surprised to see its her one rival at school, Jackson Locke. The story takes off from there and Hover blew my mind. I'm excited to see how the story will end!

6.) Reboot by Amy Tintera

Reboot is the first in a duology by Amy Tintera that's all about zombies. These zombies though aren't your normal "eat brains no thought" zombies though; the protagonist is actually one of them! Wren Connolly was dead for 178 minutes, and then she woke up. The longer you're dead, the more strong you become and the less emotional you are. Wren, the perfect solider, is done taking orders when she starts training Callum Reyes, who was only dead for 22 minutes, and who makes her start feeling more alive than she's ever felt.

7.) Opposition by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Opposition is the final book to Jennifer L. Armentrout's Lux series. This was such an epic conclusion and was by far my favorite of the series. The series became better each book and I was truly astounded by this one! The Lux series is sassy, fun, and downright addictive. If you're just starting off with the YA paranormal genre, this is the series to start with!



Have you read any of these books listed above? What's one of you're favorite YA paranormal books of this year?

Thanks for stopping by!

Genni @ Ready, Set, Read!

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh!! Unearthly series! Love all around! Tucker or Christian??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Team Tucker all the way! I met someone at the signing who liked Christian more, and I just don't understand! Yeah, Christian is a good guy, but Tucker has so much more chemistry with Clara.

    ReplyDelete