Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: If You Like the Lightning Thief You'll Like....

Hey guys and welcome back to my blog! Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by the girls over at The Broke and the Bookish! Make sure to check them out! Today's topic was to pick a wildly popular novel and recommend books based off of that. So I went to my goodreads and ordered by read books to be listed in ratings and saw that the Lightning Thief was in the top ten of my books. Needless to say, I loved the Lightning Thief! In fact, Percy Jackson and the Olympians is one of my favorite series of all time and what really got me into reading. The first book was published in 2005, so I was around six, or in the second grade, at that time. However, I think I started reading them early fourth grade and finished them in fifth grade. I distinctly remember making my Mom go to Barnes & Noble and buying The Last Olympian as a hardcover book. To say that this series is influential to me is an understatement.

What I'm going to be recommending for you today are either books that center around mythology, are middle-grade novels, or have a cheeky and brazen main character. Who knows? You might get all three!

10.) Three Times Lucky by Sheila Turnage

I read this a while back, but it is an acclaimed middle grade novel with and eclectic cast!

9.) Emmy and the Incredible Shrinking Rat by Lynne Jonell
Emmy and the Incredible Shrinking Rat was one of my favorite books when I was in fifth grade!

8.) Tiger's Curse by Curse by Colleen Houck

Tiger's Curse is the first in a young adult series that follows Indian myths. I really enjoyed the first novel, but the later ones frustrated me to no end, so keep that in mind!

7.) Melting of Maggie Bean by Tricia Rayburn

The Melting of Maggie Bean is a middle grade novel with a great theme. There isn't much that is like The Lightning Thief besides it being middle grade, but I definitely recommend it.

6.) The Shadow Thieves by Anne Ursu

I'm a bit hazy on all the details of The Shadow Thieves, but I do remember it completely enthralled me and immersed me into its alternate world.

5.) The City of Ember by Jeanne DePrau

I'm sure you have heard about City of Ember; it was all the rage when I was around ten, and it was also adapted into a movie! City of Ember is a stable middle grade read, so if you haven't read it already, go check it out and see what the hype is about!

4.) Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart

My love for the Mysterious Benedict Society cannot
be explained. I completely loved this novel and its sequels when I was younger! The eclectic cast reminds me of the interactions between Percy and his friends as well.

3.) Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

Paranormalcy is the first in a young adult series. The two  reasons that you would like Paranormalcy is because the main character has a sassy personality just like Percy does and it has paranormal aspects just like the first series.

2.) Oh. My. Gods. by Tera Lynn Childs

My best friend and I adored this novel way back when. This one focuses on Greek mythology but is a bit more dramatized towards romance and school aspects of the plot.

1.) Pandora Gets Jealous by Carolyn Hennesy

Pandora Gets Jealous is the most alike to Percy Jackson and The Olympians. The reader follows the infamous Pandora as she opens her box and embarks on a quest to retrieve them. This middle grade novel focuses much more on the adventures and friendships than anything else, just like the five novels in Percy's series.


Have you read any of these? What did you think of them? Thanks for stopping by and I'll see you in my next post!

Genni @ Ready, Set, Read!

6 comments:

  1. Lovely list! I'm always looking for more mythology based books after I loved the Percy Jackson series so much :) great recommendations

    Most recent post on Enchanted by YA: http://enchantedbyya.blogspot.com/2015/09/disney-book-tag.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did the same sort of topic this week, books you should read if you liked the Percy Jackson series!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2015/09/29/top-ten-tuesday-24/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll definitely check it out! Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I haven't read any of the book you've recommended here, but I loved Percy so I'll have to check into these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had to recommend just one, it would be The Mysterious Benedict Society! I read it so long ago, and every time I think about it I just want to reread it!

      Delete