Friday, October 9, 2015

Creepy Books to Read in October!

Hey guys and welcome back to my blog! It's October and we know what that means: fall. That, and Halloween! If you're looking for some creepy books to get in the mood, here's a list of recommendations of books I've read in the past couple years that are perfect for October and creeped me out in one way or another.

10.) Blood Wounds by Susan Beth Pfeffer

Susan Beth Pfeffer is best known for her Last Survivors series. Out of all the novels I have read by her, they are all have a dark tone. Blood Wounds follows sixteen year old Willa and the chaos that ensues once new comes out that her birth father has killed his second wife and their kids. I read this a while back, so I can't say that I recommend it now. However, back when I did read read, I enjoyed it. It isn't the best novel, but the story gripped me.

9.) White Rabbit Chronicles by Gena Showalter

The White Rabbit Chronicles is one of my favorite young adult series out there! It is sexy, dark, fun, and intoxicating. If you're looking for a novel that will keep you on your toes, you should pick up The White Rabbit Chronicles! The series follows not only the romance between Alice Bell and Cole Holland, but their badassery as well as they fight zombies.

8.) Clarity Duology by Kim Harrington

The Clarity Dulogy comprises of two books, Clarity and Perception, that were released in 2011 and 2012, respectively. While the novels aren't the best written, they were so much fun to read and I couldn't stop reading them! Both novels are murder mysteries that our main character and psychic must solve.

7.) Through Her Eyes by Jennifer Archer

Through Her Eyes is a really peculiar horror novel. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it just because horror isn't my go to genre and I don't enjoy it that much, but go for it! I'm really hazy on the details, so check out its goodreads page here!

6.) Dr. Franklin's Island by Ann Halam

Dr. Franklin's Island is a novel I read every year or so that is based of off The Island of Dr. Moreau by H. G. Wells. To say this book creeps me out would be an understatement. If you want a book this Halloween season that will make your skin crawl, I definitely recommend this one to you!

5.) Girl, Stolen by April Henry

Girl, Stolen centers on just that. When a robbery goes wrong and ends up in with our main character, Cheyenne, being stolen. A thriller is set in the works. I borrowed this from one of my neighbors and I am so happy she pushed it on me! This is one of my higher recommendations on the list.

4.) The Future Collection by Beth Revis

The Future Collection is a compilation of short science fiction stories by Beth Revis, the author that wrote the Across the Universe trilogy. To say that these stories gave me the heebie jeebies is an understatement. You can find my thoughts on while reading it here! The Future Collection can also be found in my August Wrap Up where I gave it 3.75 stars.

3.) Young Elites by Marie Lu

I read the Young Elites by Marie Lu right once it was released and actually really enjoyed it! Luckily, the novel is one of the few and far between that I actually like the more I think about it. The sequel, The Rose Society, is releasing on October 13th, so to get an extra thrill, you can marathon the two and read all about our badass anti hero, Adelina!

2.) The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer

Can I not gush anymore about this series? If you don't know, The Lunar Chronicles is one of my favorite series. I cannot wait to see how it will conclude this winter. To me, the creepiest novel out of all four books out so far is definitely Fairest, which focuses on Queen Levana, the villain of this series.

1.) Anna Dressed In Blood Duology by Kendare Blake


This duology by Kendare Blake is perfect for the Halloween time! The two novels in the series follows Cas and his ghost hunting ways when he stumbles upon a peculiar ghost in an abandoned house. While the book doesn't necessarily scare me, it did make my skin crawl at certain times.

Want some more books that creeped me out? Check out this shelf over on my goodreads page!

As for me, I'm for sure going to pick up The Madman's Daughter for my creepy novel of October! What are you planning on reading? Comment down below!

Thanks for stopping by and I'll see you soon with another post!

Genni @ Ready, Set, Read!

4 comments:

  1. Oooh, I've heard a lot about Anna Dressed in Blood! The title and cover alone makes it a perfect Halloween read, so I'll have to get my hands on it very soon! And of course The White Rabbit Chronicles are a perfect choice for October! What better way to celebrate than by reading about zombie slayers? I haven't read A Mad Zombie Party yet, but I intend to this month!
    Great post :)
    ~Erika @ Books, Stars, Writing. And Everything In Between.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anna Dressed In Blood didn't necessarily scare me, but there were so many creepy scenes! The sequel, Girl of Nightmares, had this one scene that lasted for at least 10 pages that was soo creepy! I had to turn on my lights because of it! I hope I get the opportunity to read A Mad Zombie Party, but my library doesn't have it yet! Hope you like it!

      Thanks for stopping by!
      Genni @ Ready, Set, Read!

      Delete
  2. The Young Elites is so creepy! I've been wanting to reread it for a long time and October is the perfect month for it! I can't wait to read The Rose Society :) I've been meaning to read The White Rabbit Chronicles and the Anna Dressed In Blood Duology for a while now but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Maybe I'll dedicate October to them and all their creepy counterparts!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading in Adelina's point of view truly made my skin crawl! I can't wait to see what she does in The Rose Society too! The White Rabbit Chronicles is more fun than anything else for me while the Anna Dressed In Blood Duology was downright creepy!

      Thanks for stopping by!!

      Genni @ Ready, Set, Read!

      Delete