Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Book Review: Their Fractured Light by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner

I don't think I can write a coherent review for this masterpiece of a concluding novel.

I didn't really have an idea of what was going to happen in this third and final book and it blew me away. These were my initial thoughts that I wrote on my goodreads right once I finished the novel at 3 in the morning.

"First five star rating of this new year and it definitely deserves it. This is my favorite of the trilogy by far. If I had only one word to describe this novel it would be mesmerizing."

So yeah, right off the bat I adored this book. It took turns that I was not expecting and kept me on one thrill of a ride! Though it has been a while since I have read the first or second book, this is by far my favorite. The two main characters, Sofia and Gideon,
both are so intriguing. Both of them are so heavily guarded and I loved learning more and more of their back story as the book progressed. Understanding why the characters acted was almost as rewarding as reading about their actions.

One of the best things about the book it how connected all of the main characters from the books are to each other. They all come together in this last one and it was totally epic. The last 150 or so pages was so good and intense! My other favorite aspect of the book were the beginnings of every chapter. Like the last two, there is another POV that is featured for less than a page before every chapter that provides insight to another part of the story. In Their Fractured Light, we saw the point of view of some of the whispers, and it was fantastic. I was always a bit confused about what exactly they were in the last two books, and this made me understand them so much more.

Of course one of my favorite aspects were the characters. One of the great things about this series is that it is both character and plot driven. The plot progresses and develops right along with the characters. Sofia and Gideon had some great growth throughout the novel, especially Sofia. Her character progression has been one of the best I've ever read. Reading about the other four in this cast of characters (Lilac, Tarver, Jubilee, and Flynn) was great. Seeing their relationships, even secondhand, was more than I could ask for.

I really appreciated that these previous main characters in the series still mattered. Though they weren't the focal characters, they still proved important and weren't tossed to the side. Each character brought something to the table and I really loved how they all interacted. Just because a novel was written about the previous characters doesn't mean that their story was over yet.

To be honest, there weren't that many flaws. I did get a bit annoyed with the angst between Sofia and Gideon after all their secrets were out. I just wanted them to get together and they kept holding themselves and each other back. I do wish that I read these books closer together, because there were some details and parts of the plot that happened beforehand that I was really hazy about. Because the characters are all interconnected, it would be better going into the story having a fresh mind on the first two books. Besides that, the novel didn't really have a dull moment. It started off with a bang and never slowed down. 

Besides that, I don't have anything to say! This was such an excellent concluding novel and I couldn't have asked for anything better. I am so happy with how everything wrapped up. I can't believe that I already finished this series when it felt like just yesterday I was reading These Broke Stars. The Starbound Trilogy is an amazing science fiction series that has great characters and plot. The romance is part of the plot, but is never too heavy. All three of these books got a 4.5 to 5 star rating from me.

With that, I give this book
4.9 out of 5 Stars!





Have you guys read nay of the books in the Starbound trilogy? If so, what did you think of them?

Thanks for stopping by and I'll see you soon with another post!

Happy Reading!

Genni @ Ready, Set, Read!

Favorite Quotes


“Love, and trust. The things that make us human. They could have been mine, if only I could have leapt. If only we could have leapt.”

“But free will is what it means to be human, and no one can determine the path you take through this universe. Choice is our greatest right, our greatest gift-and our greatest responsibility.”

“And from the inside, surrounded by the joy and devotion and loyalty of my friends, the shimmer of rage on the outside of our lives looks paper-thin.” 

“I can see his breath stirring the dust in the air, making it dance in the beam from the flashlight. It quickens as I watch him, until I can almost hear a waltz, each particle of dust twirling to the ghost of that old song.”

2 comments:

  1. How would you compare book 3 to book 1&2? I read and enjoyed book 1 but I also felt it was really awkward and sad. -Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Tina! In comparison to the other books, book three was a lot more expanding of the world. As for awkwardness, there was a lot of tension between the main two characters for some time. I personally liked it, but I think it depends on the person. I wouldn't say this book is necessarily sad. There is death, but it was like in the first book when the Icarus fell and we didn't know anyone on the ship. This was my favorite of the series, I found the story more intriguing than the second and more dangerous than the first. Thanks for the question, Tina! :D Hope I helped.

      Delete