Saturday, May 21, 2016

Book Review: Hell Bent by Karen Crompton

Hell Bent didn't meet my expectations. 

Unfortunately, I didn't like Hell Bent as much as I wanted to. If I had to put my thoughts in simplest form, I would say that it was just okay. I didn't necessarily like it, but I didn't dislike it either. The characters and plot just didn't speak to me. 

The characters of Hell Bent besides Beau weren't as fleshed as I wanted them to be. There's a sizable cast of characters that are always present in the book, and I would've liked to have seen more of them. Rake really intrigued me and there was only one part of the book where I felt as if  he wasn't one dimensional. The non-complexity of the characters was my main problem. They didn't feel as if they were real people.

However, there were moments where I was really enjoying myself reading Hell Bent. The rising actions were really fun to read and I loved seeing Corrie and Beau's relationship develop. My favorite scene of the whole book is when the couple goes to an art class. It was light and funny. My issue with the plot is that there wasn't enough balance between light and dark. I understand that heavy topics are at play in the novel, but the book was consistently dark for a good 30 percent and it started to drag on. My least favorite part has to be right after the climax of the novel. Beau has some real problems, but his narration became repetitive to the point of annoying. 

Just because I had a lot of issues does not mean that this is a BAD book. Hell Bent just wasn't for me and I wish it was. Crompton has a lot of promise as an author. There were times where she handled plot points really well, like the grief and alcoholism. The characters were the real problem for me. I just couldn't like Beau, no matter how hard I tried.  I'll probably be reading more of her in the future, but it just won't be part of this series. 

Those are my thoughts on Hell Bent. Just because I didn't love the book doesn't mean that you won't! Crompton holds a lot of promise as an author and I'm looking forward to what is in store in the future. 

With that, I give this book 

2 out of 5 Stars!





Thanks guys for stopping by and I'll see you soon with another post!

Happy Reading!

Genni @ Ready, Set, Read!

No comments:

Post a Comment