Saturday, May 14, 2016

Book Review: Switched (Trylle #1) by Amanda Hocking

I'm tired of disappointments. I'm tired of reading books where the main characters whine and don't think of anything but themselves. I'm especially tired of insta-love.

Switched had all of this and more, including a storyline that didn't live up to it's unique plot. I didn't have extremely high hopes when I started this book, but I expected more than I received. Switched, which is a self-published phenomenon in YA, just fell short. The story is about our main character, Wendy, and her journey after she finds out that not only is she a troll, but royalty as well.

Throughout the novel I could not connect with Wendy. She's supposed to be 15, which is just a year younger than I am. Maybe I'm mature or Wendy is immature, but I could not stand her. She only thought of herself. Most of the time she was just complaining, and I couldn't handle it after a while. However, there is one thing got me even more frustrated than the personality of the main character.

And that is the insta love. Oh my god. This has to be the worst insta-love I have ever seen. I might have thought that the love interest (I forgot his name he's so one dimensional!) was swoon-worthy when I was about twelve, but he has no depth. He's just this honorable soldier that would do anything for our main character because he fell in love with her the moment he saw her. UGH.

Even with all the negative things I have to say about this book, it still entertained me. Sure, there were times where I was so annoyed with the book I had to put it down, but I still kept thinking about it (no matter how painfully obvious the story was going to turn out). This series has promise, and for that reason I will be continuing on. Plus, I'm interested to see if Hocking's writing improves with time.

I wouldn't necessarily say that I liked this book, but I didn't hate it either. It was a combination of my frustration and it's promise of good to come that let to my feeling of mediocrity. I am interested to see what will occur in the next novels. At least now I'll now to get a couple at a time because nothing actually happened in the first book.

I wish I read this four years ago, because I would've loved it back then. I guess it's better late than never??

With that, I give this book
2 out of 5 Stars!






Have you guys read anything by Amanda Hocking? What did you think?

Thanks for stopping by and I'll see you soon with another post!

Happy Reading!

Genni @ Ready, Set, Read!

No comments:

Post a Comment