Saturday, February 25, 2017

BOOK REVIEW | Ascend by Amanda Hocking

Title: Ascend
Series: Trylle Trilogy #3
Author: Amanda Hocking
Publication Date: April 24, 2012
Pages: 326
Source: I own a bind up of the trilogy, which I got on BookOutlet.
Wendy Everly is facing an impossible choice. The only way to save the Trylle from their deadliest enemy is by sacrificing herself.  If she doesn't surrender to the Vittra, her people will be thrust into a brutal war against an unbeatable foe.  But how can Wendy leave all her friends behind... even if it’s the only way to save them?

The stakes have never been higher, because her kingdom isn't the only thing she stands to lose. After falling for both Finn and Loki, she’s about to make the ultimate choice... who to love forever. One guy has finally proven to be the love of her life—and now all their lives might be coming to an end.

Everything has been leading to this moment.  The future of her entire world rests in her hands—if she’s ready to fight for it.

Ascend is the final book in the Trylle trilogy that skyrocketed Amanda Hocking's career as a young adult author. I started the series in May last year, and wasn't so sure that I would continue on with it. I can't say that I liked the first book. The only reason I continued on was because there was such a huge potential for this series to be good, if not great. Happily enough, continuing was worth it and the last book delivered. 

My big complaint about this book was that the ending was so rushed. At times the pace felt fine, and then all of a sudden we were going at lightspeed for the last 15 percent of the book. It's obvious that Hocking was trying to wrap everything up with a pretty bow on top, but she did it hastily. A bad wrapping job is still bad, even if there is a bow on it. 


Wendy is basically a completely different person in this book. She's new and improved. In Switched, Wendy is selfish and immature. She is now mature and thinks of others before herself. Some people say that Wendy continues to string Finn and Loki around in this book, but I don't think so. Wendy is pretty conflicted the whole time, so I understand why she couldn't choose for a while. Nevertheless, I did enjoy how the romance turned out! I think that Wendy did the right thing and chose the person who would make her happy and not hold her back. 

Ascend is a fun book to read, but I wouldn't say it is anything special. None of the characters left a lasting impact on me. This series improved with every book, but I would not call it a favorite. If you are in a slump, or are looking for a quick and easy trilogy, then I absolutely recommend this series. The books are so easy to fly through. Ascend is pure entertainment.

While Ascend is not without flaws, but it was a vast improvement to Switched, the first book in the trilogy. In time, I will be continuing on with the companion trilogy. Hocking's improvement is stunning within this series, and I'm looking forward to reading more from her.   

With that, I give this book
4 out of 5 Stars!

8 comments:

  1. I really want to read the companion trilogy but I didn't love Switched so I never finished this one and I feel like I should definitely do that first! Glad to hear the series improves - maybe I will try again with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the same thing by the end of Switched as well. I am pretty sure that the series is easy to follow if you don't wind up reading the rest of the trilogy though! Thanks for visiting Clare! :)

      Delete
  2. I've seen this series floating around, and it does sound interesting. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I binge-read this series right before reading the Kanin Chronicles and I liked the series! (Both series, actually). I liked this novel a lot - I think I remember book two being the one that I didn't like as much (though I did enjoy it). Hocking's writing and storytelling reaaaaaally improved within this series, which was nice to see. I'm glad you enjoyed this book overall!

    Have a wonderful week, Genni. =)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you like one the series better than the other? For me, the first book was my least favorite, but I can see why the second would be someone's least favorite too. Thanks Alyssa! I hope you have a wonderful week too. :)

      Delete
  4. I recently read Freeks by Amanda Hocking but I haven't read these, these seem to be the ones that put her on the map. It's nice to see her improve from book to book and I'm glad you were able to finish the series on a good note. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg! She finished really strong with this, so I'm interested in Freaks! Hopefully it doesn't disappoint. :)

      Delete