Sunday, June 18, 2017

Mini Movie Reviews | Beauty and the Beast, Guardians Vol. 2, Colossal

Hey everyone and welcome back to my blog! These past couple of weeks I have watched a TON of movies with my sister (it's our thing) and I'm going to review a handful of them! There is a local discount movie theater near me, that shows movies released a couple months back. Add redbox and a local movie theater playing recently released movies into the mix, and you end up watching a lot!

The movies I'll be reviewing today are Beauty and the Beast starring Emma Watson and Dan Stevens, Colossal starring Anne Hathaway and Jason Sudeikis, and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 starring Chris Pratt and Zoe Salanda. Without further ado, here we go!


Beauty and the Beast 
Release Date: March 17, 2017
Run Time: 2 hours, 19 minutes
Genre: Fantasy/Romance, retelling of the original Beauty and the Beast, which was released in 1991.
Rating: PG

The original Beauty and the Beast is one of my favorite Disney films. Though it isn't my all time favorite, it is up there! When I walked into the theater for the 2017 version, I tried to lower my expectations. I heard that the new Beauty and the Beast was basically an exact reiteration of the original, and didn't add much to the story. And though that is true, the movie was beautiful. The acting was done well, and the set pieces and costumes were stunning. However, the movie is nothing special, because it is the essentially an exact replica of the original. I'm sure that in 1991 when the movie was first made, people applauded the film for it's originality, animation, songs, and so on. The originality that made Beauty and the Beast so great the first time is lost the second go around. Though I enjoyed myself while watching the live action Beauty and the Beast, it didn't entrance me because I had already seen the movie countless of times. I felt like I already saw the movie when I was watching it. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it doesn't get me too excited either. I give Beauty and the Beast a B.


Colossal 
Release Date:April 7, 2017
Run Time: 1 hour, 50 minutes
Genre: Fantasy/Science Fiction Film, also deals with real-life themes, such as addiction
Rating: R

Colossal is my biggest surprise out of these three, and of the whole year so far. I wasn't expecting to love it at all, but I did! The plot is super weird, so be prepared. Colossal follows Gloria, played by Anne Hathaway, who is an alcoholic. She is kicked out of her boyfriend's apartment and moves back to her childhood home. She bumps into a childhood friend, Oscar, who is played by Jason Sudeikis. While Gloria tries to get her life back on track, a monster is attacking Seoul in South Korea. Gloria realizes that her and the monster are somehow connected, which adds a whole other layer to the story. So yes, that plot is WEIRD. But it works perfectly. Instead of being a downcast movie about addiction, the monster aspect adds some much needed light hearted-ness while also making the movie more impactful. The realism and fantasy interweave themselves masterfully, and I was fully invested in this movie. I thought the acting was wonderful, as well as the plot and the end of the film. I can see Colossal becoming a cult classic in the future. The only reason it didn't get an A was because of the side characters. I felt as if some of them were used to further along the plot line and/or were one dimensional. Nothing can be perfect, but this movie came close to it! I give Colossal an A minus. 

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

Release Date: May 5, 2017
Run Time: 2 hours, 18 minutes
Genre: Superhero, Sci/fi Action
Rating: PG-13

Last but certainly not least is Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2!! Now, Guardians of the Galaxy is one of my favorite Marvel movies, but I liked this second installment even more. I can't say much, because as I'm sure you are aware, all the movies intersect and this is a sequel. The guardians (Peter Quill, Gamora, Groot, Rocket, Drax) team up with some others characters from the first volume and need to defeat a big evil bad guy. And that is as detailed as I'm going to get. The magic of Guardians lies within it's characters. All of them are so well developed, and I care for each and every one of them. The movie does such a good job making the audience empathize and relate to everyone, even if a character doesn't get too much screen time. The humor for Guardians was spot on, and I laughed out loud regularly throughout the film. I would say this second volume pulled on my heartstrings more than the first, and I cried a handful of times. I just loved this, and I can't wait to see the characters again! I give Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 an A.


At the end of the day, all of these movies are good and I recommend watching all of them as long as you are a fan of the genre. I don't know which my favorite would be: Colossal or Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2. Though I gave Colossal a lower rating, I know that it will be one of those movies that I constantly think about as well as the one I want to own the most. However, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is one of my favorite superhero films to date. Whatever it turns out to be, I hope you get the chance to see the films I reviewed today and like (or love!) them!


Have you seen any of these movies or plan to? What did you think of them? 

Thanks so much for stopping by and I'll see you soon with another post! Hint: there will be more movie reviews coming! 

Happy Reading!

Genni @ Ready, Set, Read!

14 comments:

  1. I LOVED Beauty and the Beast. I've watched it in the cinema, which always adds to the experience. Also think that Emma Watson was perfect for the role :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, Emma Watson was superb as Belle! She completely convinced me!

      Delete
  2. Great reviews, Genni! I also loved Beauty and the Beats, and I thought the visuals were STUNNING <3
    I'm dying to watch Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (although I haven't even watched the first one yet! URGH!) and I'm so glad you enjoyed it so much :)

    Hope you have a lovely rest of your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! If you loved the visuals of Beauty and the Beast, then you'll love the ones in Guardians of the Galaxy! Ahh Amy you have to watch the first! It's so good. :) Have a great week!

      Delete
  3. I really liked Beauty and the Beast, but that's probably because I'm a Beauty and the Beast junkie. Colossal sounds really interesting. That's one I probably need to try out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that would make sense! I hope you check it out. :)

      Delete
  4. Great reviews, Genni! I can't say I've heard of Colossal, but I'll definitely be on the look out for it now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't seen any of these yet but I'm keen to see Guardians of the Galaxy 2.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen both Beauty and the Beast and Guardians of the Galaxy 2. In Beauty and the Beast, the thing I loved most was the library haha. Guardians of the Galaxy 2 was fantastic! It was just so funny, and it was great to see the characters again!
    ~Erika @ Books and Stars

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the library was downright stunning! I completely agree with you about Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2! One of my favorite scenes is when Rocket is jumping through space.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. I have the same feeling about BATB as you. I enjoyed it but my heart was 100% into it. I'm glad you liked Colossal, I have seen that movie here and there but now I'll definitely give it a go along with Guardians of the Galaxy, I can't believe I haven't seen it yet, I hope to remedy it soon!

    - Poulami @ Daydreaming Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to know I'm not the only one! I hope you love both of them Poulami!!

      Delete